Sunday, July 15, 2012

Recent Problems

Lately, I took a very long, very stressful break from journaling by hand. I tried digital journaling because I could access it both on my phone and on my computer. This was okay, and it's great for some things like recording what my daughter does as she grows and things like that. I even have a digital journal to record all of the issues I have in my marriage. However, I miss daily journaling. I miss the feeling of paper under my fingertips and a pen in my hand.

So, I've returned to hand journaling, and I even draw in my journal now. It helps me to take a break, do a little doodle related to whatever I'm talking about, and add some color into the entry. So, this is why I haven't posted on this blog in a while. I will attempt to get back to it, but currently the journal these 85 tips are in has temporarily been misplaced. Once I'm back at home, I will have the chance to look for it.

Oh, and here's a link that helps support my idea that journal therapy helps me more than therapy therapy.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, that's true if you grow up writing on paper. But what about the current 3yr olds who are growing up writing, and drawing, on iPad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those that are accustomed to digital journaling in their lives, by all means go for it. If you have the determination and the dexterity in your fingers to type on a phone or tablet as quickly as your mind desires, do so. If your typing fingers are more therapeutic than the feel of pen and paper, by all means do so.

      However, I have also found research that says handwriting works a different part of our brain, a part that we all desperately need in this digi-world. My daughter is two, and while she can draw, use Netflix, and even do puzzles on my Kindle Fire, iPhone, and parents' iPad, she prefers to draw by hand with crayons, read books, and sometimes she "writes."

      Granted, my daughter might be the exception, not the rule, but every person is different. It's just up to what they like and what they prefer. Whatever makes their life easier and more therapeutic is definitely what they should go for.

      Thanks for your comment, and I hope my response helps you understand my ideas on the subject. :-)

      Delete